Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Vulnerability

In my quest to improve my jiu-jitsu game, I have discovered that I cannot expect to improve very quickly if I rely on my strengths. As a mid-level blue belt, this is something my instructors have to repeat to me on a regular basis. The student who depends too much on his strengths will not develop his skills very effectively. There is a constant battle of short-term versus long-term. If we are focused on "winning" during our training sessions rather than learning, we will not open ourselves up to the wealth of knowledge that comes through trial and experimentation. In order to become mighty, we must first become vulnerable. And over time we will incrementally grow and improve. In fact, my theme for my entire life this past year has been vulnerability. I did not choose this theme, rather this theme emerged through a cloud of sweat and tears. When we encounter challenging situations in life, we are faced with a choice: do we lie down, or do we stand up and fight? True strength is not developed by being strong. True strength is forged in the furnace of trials, in situations where we are honest about our weaknesses and we are humble enough to walk through the trials of life. As I have encountered struggles in my marriage and my career this past year, the road has not been easy, but it has been rewarding. As a result of stripping myself of pretense and becoming vulnerable, I have experienced deeper friendships, a stronger marriage, and greater fulfillment in my career. Success is not a destination but a path, and the path is long and winding. I am thankful for the bruises and scars I have received along the way, and I am excited to see where this path will eventually lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment